Recipe: Farro and Banana Breakfast
Summary: Whole grain farro, sliced banana and a spoon are all you need for a filling, satisfying breakfast that will stay with you.
- 1 (6-ounce) bag Melissa’s Organic Farro
- Cinnamon stick (or a sprinkle of ground cinnamon) (*optional; see note in recipe)
- Ripe bananas
- Cook the farro according to the package directions. (Cover with water by 1-2 inches, bring to a boil, turn down heat , cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes. Drain before serving or using.)
- *If you know that you will be using the entire 2 cups of cooked farro for breakfast, you might cook it with a cinnamon stick in the pot. If you are only using a portion for breakfast, cook it plain so the leftovers can be repurposed for a lunch salad or dinner.
- Drain and serve farro in a bowl, decorated with sliced banana on top. For me, the banana made the whole thing sweet enough. If your sweet tooth is raging, you can certainly drizzle with maple syrup or honey or fling on some brown sugar.
- Serves 2-3.
Melissa‘s Organic Farro  is a nutritious whole grain with a nutty flavor and chewy bite. It cooks in about 35 minutes, and can be used in place of rice or barley. Serve it for breakfast, toss it in salads for lunch, or as a grain side dish for dinner. It is available in a package, as shown here, or sometimes in bulk at health or specialty food stores. Melissa’s Produce sent a sample of the farro for recipe testing.
Soaking the farro
Confession: I fully intended to make this fantastic Italian Easter pie/cake  with my farro, and so I had the grain soaking for 3 days in preparation. However, my flighty cooking whims took me in a breakfast direction instead! What I learned, though, is that if you soak the farro for 3 days, you only need to finish cooking it for 5 minutes (not 35 minutes). Voila!
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian, Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 3
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Other farro dishes you will enjoy
- Yogurt, Farro and Fruit Breakfast Parfait 
- Mango Chickpea Kale Farro Salad 
- Sweet Potato, Sausage, Kale and Farro Soup