Recipe: Dorothy’s Tapenade Tomatoes
Summary: Cherry tomatoes dolloped with tapenade are the best two-ingredient summer appetizer ever! The sweet tomato paired with the sharp, salty olives is perfect!
- 1 basket cherry tomatoes
- 1 jar prepared tapenade (chopped olive-caper spread), or homemade tapenade 
- For serving platter: 1 bunch fresh cilantro or Italian parsley (optional)
- Using a very sharp, thin knife, slice cherry tomatoes in half at the equator. Lightly tap cut half on a paper towel to absorb extra juice. Spread each half with a small dollop of prepared tapenade (use a baby spoon if you have one handy).
- Rinse cilantro and dry in a salad spinner or roll in a paper towel to dry. Arrange leaves on a pretty serving plate as a bed of greens. Set each tomato half, cut side up, on the cilantro-covered plate. This helps the tomato halves set securely so they don’t roll around.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Make as many as you need, allowing 3-4 halves for each person.
You can find prepared tapenade, which is sometimes called olive spread, near the other jarred olives in a well-stocked supermarket. Trader Joe’s also sells a good version.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian, Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 8