Recipe: Deconstructed Potato Salad with Smoky Fingerlings
- 16 Idaho® fingerling potatoes
- scant 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (you could use 75%/25% regular paprika and ground cayenne pepper)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 scallion, chopped (or use chopped chives)
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed or finely minced
- 10 pitted Kalamata olives, finely minced
- Heat oven to 400F degrees. 
- Wash potatoes, dry and slice in half, vertically. Add them to a large bowl, along with the salt and paprika, and stir to coat all potatoes well and distribute the spice. 
- Heat a 12-inch skillet (that can later go in the oven) for about 5 minutes, then add oil, swirl to coat the bottom of the pan, and one by one, add potato halves, cut side down, arranging so all fit in the pan. Adjust heat to medium and cook without touching them for 5 minutes. (Do not be tempted to cook them longer.) 
- Turn burner off, and using a tongs, carefully turn each potato half so the cut side is up. Slide pan into the oven and roast for 10 minutes. (Do not be tempted to cook them longer. They will be done. Poke one with a cake tester to prove it to yourself.) 
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, garlic and olives, until well combined. Set aside until you are ready to assemble the salad.
- When potatoes are done, remove from oven, and using the tongs, place each potato half on a plate covered with a paper towel, so they will drain.
- To assemble the salads: Peel and slice the hard-cooked eggs. To plate the salads, alternate a slice of potato and a slice of egg, repeating, until you have as much as you want on each plate. Spoon on a little bit of the mayo dressing, and sprinkle with green onions or chives to decorate.
- Serves 4-6, depending on appetites and what else is on the menu!
Dorothy Reinhold | Shockingly Delicious
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4-6
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)