Recipe: College Tour Detox Green Smoothie (Vegan)
Summary: Naturally sweet from dates and fruit, verdant with healthy kale, this is breakfast of champions to scare away the college tour demons.
- 3 Medjool dates
- 4 leaves dinosaur kale (aka black kale, Cavolo Nero, Tuscan kale), center rib removed
- 1 overripe banana
- 5-6 ounces apple juice
- 2 small tangerines, skin removed and separated into segments
- Splash of vanilla extract (about ¼ teaspoon)
- 7-10 ice cubes
- Tear dates in half, remove pit and soak in boiling water for about 10 minutes. (See note below about dates.)
- While dates are soaking, fill a large bowl with hottest water possible from the tap (or boil enough water for the dates and the kale and use that), and submerge kale leaves. Allow them to soak while the dates are soaking. After 10 minutes, remove kale from hot water. (See note about kale below.)
- When ready to make smoothie, add drained dates, kale, banana, apple juice, tangerine segments, vanilla and 7 ice cubes to the blender container. Whirl on highest speed for 1-2 minutes, until everything is well combined, bright green and thick. Add a couple more ice cubes and whirl again if you like.
- Pour into 2 glasses and enjoy!
Note on dates and kale
If you’re using a high-speed blender with super powers, such as a Vitamix, you can make a very smooth smoothie effortlessly. If you are using an average blender like I have, you should chop the dates and kale finely before adding them, so they mix in more easily. You don’t want date chunks left at the bottom of the container!
Dorothy Reinhold | Shockingly Delicious
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 2
Culinary tradition: USA (General)