Recipe: Cheesy Skillet Gnocchi with Kale
Summary: Cheesy, tomatoey gnocchi is chock full of veggies and flavor for an easy, comforting, vegetarian skillet dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Handful multicolored mini peppers (8-10 of them), stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (15-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes in own juice
- 1 (16-ounce) package shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base (or use their Organic Chicken Base)
- 3 Lacinato kale leaves, rib removed and leaves cut into ribbons (chiffonade cut)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into thin slices
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
- Garnish: Handful basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet. Saute onions and peppers for about 10 minutes, until the onion begins to color and caramelize. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and their juice, gnocchi, water, vegetable base and kale. Stir, cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the gnocchi is soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Turn heat off, sprinkle Parmesan over evenly, lay mozzarella slices and strew olives on top. Replace lid and allow to rest for 5 minutes. The cheese will melt as it rests. 
- Serve in wide pasta bowls, garnished with basil.
- Serves 4.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian