Recipe: Breakfast Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding with Leftover Panettone
Summary: Rich, banana-infused, orange-scented bread pudding made with leftover panettone makes a wonderful special breakfast, or doubles as dessert.
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 1/4 cups milk (I used 1% milk)
- 1 cup mashed dead-black banana (this is 3-4 bananas depending on size; go here to see how black they should be )
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 6 cups torn or cubed Panettone pieces (roughly half a loaf)
- 2 cups torn or cubed sandwich bread, rolls or random leftover bread
- 1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mist a 13- by 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, cream, orange juice, zest. milk, banana, vanilla, nutmeg and salt until well combined. Add the bread pieces and chocolate chips and stir to combine thoroughly. Allow the mixture to sit in the bowl for 15 minutes so the bread can absorb the liquid. Pour the bread pudding mixture into the prepared baking dish. 
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, until the bread pudding is puffed up, golden brown on top and set in the center (the middle of the pudding should not jiggle when you nudge the dish).
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a rack at least 30 minutes. It will naturally deflate as it cools, which is fine.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. For breakfast, we eat it as-is. For dessert, my family enjoys it with a mini scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
- Makes 12 pieces.
Adapted from my friend Erika at In Erika’s Kitchen .
This calls for 8 cups of bread cubes. I had leftover panettone (who doesn’t eat all the Panettone, right? Well, apparently we don’t.), and that made a wonderful, flavorful base for the pudding. Panettone is a rich Italian Christmas bread but I get it all year long in the Italian market. I threw in some cubed dinner rolls to make up the rest of the 8 cups.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)