Recipe: Blue Ribbon Meyer Lemon Mascarpone Cheesecake
Summary: Indulgent, creamy, lightly lemony and pretty, this is an elegant comfort dessert for a special occasion. This won a 1st place Blue Ribbon in the professional division of the annual 2013 Malibu Pie Contest & Festival.
- 2 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 9 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ pound mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs + 1 yolk
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest*
- 2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste** (she finds it at Surfas in Culver City)
Crème Fraiche Glaze
- ¼ cup crème fraiche
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Berry Compote Topping
- 2 baskets blueberries, divided use
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 basket fresh raspberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make crust: In a mixing bowl, toss together the crumbs, butter and cinnamon until all crumbs are slightly moist. Spray the bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform cake pan or cake pan with removable bottom liberally with a good quality non-stick spray (she prefers Vegelene or Bakers Joy). Spread and pat down the crumbs into the bottom of the pan. Set crust aside.
- Make filling: In the bowl of a counter-top mixer (such as a KitchenAid or other brand) add cream cheese, mascarpone cheese and sugar. Mix on medium speed for 4-5 minutes until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides. Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, scraping the bottom and sides after each addition.
- Add zest and vanilla and mix for 30 seconds. Pour mixture into the cake pan with crust, and bake at 350 degrees 60+/- minutes (until just set). When cake is done, remove from oven onto a rack to cool.
- While cake is baking, make compote and glaze: Add 1 basket blueberries into a saucepan with sugar, butter and vanilla. Cook on low for about 5 minutes until berries pop and create a sauce. Remove from heat and cool. When cool, fold in remaining basket fresh blueberries and fresh raspberries. Set aside. For glaze, mix together crème fraiche and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once cheesecake is cooled, remove sides of pan and top cake with Crème Fraiche Glaze using a small offset spatula or back of a tablespoon, and then the Berry Compote. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Use a sharp knife dipped in hot water then quickly wiped dry, to get a clean cut. (Dip knife and wipe dry between cuts.)
- Serves 12-14.
*Note: regular lemons may be used if Meyer lemons are not in season
**Note: pure vanilla extract may be substituted, but if at all possible, use the paste
Recipe and photo by pastry chef Kristine Bocchino of V’s restaurant + bar in Malibu . She also does desserts for Duke’s in Malibu, Casa Escobar in Westlake and (coming soon) Casa Escobar in Malibu.
See this page  for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 12-14
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is all about giving thanks, hosted by Paula of Vintage Kitchen Notes . Check out the variety of things we have cooked up for you! Try this Blue Ribbon Meyer Lemon Mascarpone Cheesecake or find something else from the menu below that floats your boat:
FIRST COURSE / APPETIZERS
- Harvest Soup  from Bea of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Horseradish Cranberry & Herbed Cheese Bites  from Jen of Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Rosemary Baklava with Brie  from Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
SAVORY BREADS + STUFFING
- Cloverleaf Rolls  from Micha of Cookin’ Mimi
- Freeze and Bake Buttermilk Biscuits  from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Picnic Roll  from Linda of The Urban Mrs
- Raspberry and Brie Crescent Rolls  from Karen of In The Kitchen With KP
- Cornbread Stuffing with Chorizo and Craisins  from Isabel at Family Foodie
- Easy Gluten-Free Corn “Bread” Stuffing  from Laura at Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Eggless Herb and Garlic Fresh Pasta  from Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Honey Orange Turkey Breast  from Cindy at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brussels Sprout Latkes  from Susan at The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cheesey Scalloped Potatoes  from Shaina at Take A Bite Out Of Boca
- Cornucopia Sweet Potato Barley Salad  from Wendy at The Weekend Gourmet
- Creamy Scalloped Corn  from Alaiyo at Pescetarian Journal
- Fried Smashed Potatoes  from Renee at Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Grandpa’s Simple Stuffing  from Bobbi at Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Green Beans with Pecans and Cranberries  from Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Honey and Cinnamon Glazed Sweet Potatoes  from Jennifer at Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Italian American Turkey Dressing  from Anne at Webicurean
- Loaded Mashed Potato Bake  from Lori at Foxes Love Lemons
- Maple Sweet Potatoes with Browned Butter Pecan Topping  from Brianne at Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Mushroom and Barley Casserole with Bacon, Gruyere and Spinach  from Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Blue Cheese  from Sarah at Curious Cuisiniere
DESSERTS + SWEET BREADS
- Almond Brioche Sticky Buns  from Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Baked Caramel Apple Cider Donuts  from Nicole at Daily Dish Recipes
- Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie  from Cheryl at Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Blue Ribbon Meyer Lemon Mascarpone Cheesecake  from Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
- Bourbon Pecan Pie  from Julie at The Texan New Yorker
- Chocolate Moussecake  from Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Rolls  from Conni at The Foodie Army Wife
- Gingered Butternut Squash Tart  from Renee of Magnolia Days
- Hanukkah Lemon Star Cookies  from Shannon at Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Manischewitz, Cranberry Double Holiday Donuts  from Kim at Ninja Baking
- Mini Maple Sweet Potato Pies  from Holly at Mess Makes Food
- Mini Pumpkin Pies  from Nichole at Casa de Crews
- Mom’s Custard Pie  from Courtney at Neighborfood
- No Bake Pumpkin Spiced Cheesecake  from Tammi of Momma’s Meals
- Plum and Blackberry Crumble  from Katy at Happy Baking Days
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake  from Heather at girlichef
- Salted Butterscotch Pudding  from Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie  from Laura at Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Gingersnap Pie  from Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes
All American Wine Pairing Guide for Being Thankful #SundaySupper  from Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board  for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement .