Recipe: Raw Kale Salad with Raisins and Pine Nuts
Summary: Sweet, tangy, nutty additions make this raw kale salad a big bowl of green hippie vegan goodness. Sweet grapefruit, blood orange and olive oil make a wonderful dressing.
- 1 bunch raw lacinato kale, cut in a chiffonade (tiny shreds)
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice (I used a super sweet Melogold grapefruit)
- 2 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 3 tablespoons super premium extra-virgin olive oil
- Big pinch kosher salt
- 1/3 cup raisins, hydrated in boiling water and then drained
- 1.4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Combine all ingredients except nuts in a big salad bowl. Toss well and allow to sit for 30-60 minutes so the kale softens. Add nuts right before serving, so they don’t get soggy, toss again and serve.
- Eat! Enjoy!
- Serves 3-4, depending on appetites.
Lacinato kale also goes by the name dinosaur, Cavolo Nero, Tuscan or black kale.
- Sub dried cranberries for the raisins.
- Sub another nut for the toasted pine nuts.
- Add diced cooked chicken, diced cheese or some other protein to make this a more complete meal.
- Add cooked grain like rice, cous cous, wheat berries, etc. to make it more substantial.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian, Vegan
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)