Summary: A classic peanut butter and chocolate cookie made gluten-free.
- 1 cup (110 g) sifted gluten-free flour mix
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 g) vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup (60 g) natural peanut butter or sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 cup (80 g) granulated maple, coconut or organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon (5 g) flaxseed meal + 2 tablespoons filtered water (or 1 egg)
- 24 semi-sweet fair trade chocolate morsels or peanut butter cups
- Heat the oven to 375F/170C/gas mark 5. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Put the flaxseed meal in a deep mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl) with the water. Let stand 5 minutes. Cream the margarine, nut butter, sugar and vanilla together with the flax meal.
- Add the flour mixture; mix well. Chill in the freezer for 30-45 minutes until very firm.
- Take a level tablespoon of dough and roll between your palms into a round ball. Roll lightly in more of your granulated sugar. Place on the prepared cookie sheets, then flatten with your hand. Bake in heated oven 8 minutes, rotating the pans at 4 minutes so the cookies bake evenly.
- While cookies are baking, unwrap the chocolates.
- Pull out the warm cookies and press 1 chocolate into the center of each cookie. Return to the oven and bake 3-4 minutes more.
- Remove trays from oven and cool cookies on wire racks. Store in metal cookie tins for best results.
Recipe from “Golden Angels: Lessons in Love and Loss from Buddy Girl and Daisy May,” by Stephanie Weaver (Braver Endeavor Press, Feb. 2013; Kindle/$9.99)
Stephanie said she uses half gluten-free oat flour and half Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Mix, which is a blend that includes bean flours.
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 24 cookies
Samples for review were provided by Frieda’s Produce  (Lemon Plums), Saucy Mama , Calolea , Stephanie Weaver, VitaTops , Better Than Bouillon , and Food for Life (Ezekiel Bread) .