Recipe: Lemon-Zucchini Cornmeal Cookies
Summary: A lemony cookie/biscuit flecked with zucchini sparkles as a great way to use up too much summer zucchini from the garden. Cornmeal gives them good texture.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons packed finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled) (can use half white whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 cup zucchini, grated on small holes of a box grater
- Decoration: Raw or turbinado sugar, or coarse sugar crystals
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in vanilla, lemon zest, and salt. Add flour and cornmeal and mix until crumbly. Add zucchini; dough will thicken.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons, about 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets. Using fingers, tap tops a bit flatter and then sprinkle with coarse sugar crystals. Bake until cookies are light golden brown at edges, about 15-20 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool completely on wire racks.
- Makes 30-36 cookies.
You can see the original recipe here .
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 15
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)