Recipe: Sweet Potato, Sausage, Kale and Farro Soup
Summary: Hearty, heart-warming and healthy, this easy cold-weather soup uses up Thanksgiving leftovers nicely!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced medium (I used Melissa’s Organic Baby Jewel Yams )
- 4 cups (32 ounces) homemade turkey stock  (or use chicken or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup leftover cooked farro (or rice or other cooked grain or pasta)
- 1 (8-ounce) clamshell container Cut `n Clean Greens Organic SuperKALE Rainbow Kale Salad (blend of red, green and Lacinato kale) [or about 4-5 cups roughly chopped mixed greens such as kale or Swiss chard]
- Garnish: Grated Parmesan, snipped chives
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, celery and carrots and cook until vegetables begin to soften and onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes; add garlic during the last minute of cooking.
- Add sweet potatoes, turkey stock, and water and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes, and then add greens and simmer till tender, another 5 minutes. Add cooked farro just before serving.
- Ladle into your bowls and sprinkle on Parmesan and chives if desired.
- Serves 4 for dinner or 6 for a first course.
Adapted from a recipe at Life on Food for Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup .
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4-6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
I was assigned Emily’s blog as part of Secret Recipe Club , and today is our reveal day. Here’s a list  of what else I have chosen to make from others’ blogs for reveal days, and what they have chosen to make from Shockingly Delicious.
Readers, you can see what other cooks in the Secret Recipe Club made this month, right below here in the array of photos. Click any of them to be transported to that particular recipe!