Recipe: Spiced Banana Coffee Cake with Crumbs
Summary: An addictive spiced, crumb-topped banana coffee cake is a big hit!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature (add 1/4 tsp. salt if using unsalted butter)
- 1 cup (2-3 small) thinly sliced overripe bananas (to see what they should look like, go here) 
- 1/3-1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat version works fine)
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients (flour through butter) and mix at low speed until crumbly.
- Press 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture into an ungreased 13- by 9-inch baking dish. Measure out another 1/2 cup crumbs and set aside.
- Combine remaining crumbs in mixing bowl with remaining ingredients. Beat 30-60 seconds at medium speed until well blended (this will mash the bananas). Pour evenly over crumb crust. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup crumbs.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool, cut into 40-48 small bars if serving as bar cookies, or 16 squares if serving as a plated dessert.
Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 30 min.