Recipe: Shockingly Delicious Best Vegetable Medley of Your Life
Summary: If ever a plate of roasted vegetables will make you forget the meat, it is this one. Roasting sweetens and concentrates the flavors, and the Parmesan and pine nuts add body, while the lemon zest adds zing.
- 1 (2-pound) bag vegetable medley — broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
- 5 mini colored sweet bell peppers, stemmed and halved
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 8 wedges
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 3 big pinches kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Zest from 1 extra large lemon (1 1/2-2 tablespoons zest)
- 1 (2-ounce) bag Melissa’s Italian Pine Nuts , toasted (about a scant 1/2 cup; or substitute toasted slivered almonds)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan shreds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Heat oven to 425F degrees. Line a large, flat baking pan or sheet with foil for easy cleanup later. (I forgot to do this and it worked out OK because I had a nonstock roasting pan.) 
- Place vegetable medly into pan, along with peppers and onions. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss until coated.
- Fling garlic slices on top and roast for 25 minutes, undisturbed. 
- Remove from oven, add remaining tablespoon olive oil, lemon zest, toasted nuts and Parmesan shreds and toss with spatulas to mix.
- Garnish with basil if you like, and serve!
- Serves 4-6, depending on appetites.
Fantastical Sharing of Recipes  credits Amateur Gourmet , who credits Ina Garten from her book “Back to Basics.” I’m sure Ina won’t mind that I tweaked her recipe to add more and different vegetables!
Here is a list of what else I have made for the Secret Recipe Club  since I joined the group. Check it out!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4-6
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
You can see what other cooks in the Secret Recipe Club made this month, right below here in the array of photos. Click any of them to be transported to that particular recipe!