Recipe: Pumpkin Cake Rolls
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar (Brooke uses a bit more than 1/2 cup; sweeten to your taste!)
- Margarine for greasing
- Waxed paper
- 2 clean, dry tea towels
- Cookie sheet
- Heat oven to 375F degrees.
- Beat eggs, sugar and pumpkin for 5 minutes. Add soda, flour, salt and cinnamon and beat to combine.
- Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper and spread a bit of margarine on the waxed paper. Pour pumpkin mixture onto the waxed paper and spread it out evenly into a rectangle the size of your cookie sheet. Don’t make it too thick or it will be difficult to roll. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- While cake is baking, combine cream cheese, margarine, vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until well mixed. Set aside.
- When cake is done, take it out of the oven and cut it in half, horizontally. While still hot, with the paper side down, lay each half on separate tea towels. Roll each half with the towel (cake and towel roll together), starting with the longer sides (so it makes the roll long). The tea towel will absorb moisture as the cake cools, preventing it from getting soggy, and helping it keep a rolled shape.
- When cake is cooled, gently unroll and peel waxed paper off. Spread filling over cake and re-roll. Cover cake with towel and refrigerate.
- Slice into thin spirals to serve.
- Can freeze (wrap well).
- Serves 16 or maybe even more (depends on appetites).
Brook says she quadruples the recipe when she gets ready to make these, figuring that if she is going to do the work of one recipe, she might as well make a production line and make a whole lot of them! If you can make one batch, you can make four batches and your work is done.
Jane Kobayashi, via Brooke Bohm .
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
Cooling and assembly: 60 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 16
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Here is a delicious assortment of breads, drinks, condiments, snacks, and desserts offered as gifts from the kitchen this week by the #SundaySupper cooks.
Breads / Breakfast
- Pumpkin Biscoff Bread – Dinners, Dishes, and Dessert 
- All-in-One Beer Bread Kit – girlichef 
- Banana Coconut Coffee Cake with Macadamia Nut Streusel – The Lovely Pantry 
- Pancake Mix With Apple Cider Syrup and Candied Walnuts – Tora’s Real Food 
- Cranberry Hootycreeks – Baker Street 
Condiments / Ingredients
- Apple Butter – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks 
- Cranberry Strawberry Jam – The Meltaways 
- Herb Vinegars – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings 
- Harissa – The Wimpy Vegetarian 
- Homemade Vanilla Extract – Flour on my Face 
- Homemade Cherry Extract – Cravings of a Lunatic 
- Nutella Powder – I Run For Wine 
- Apricot Pineapple Rum Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes 
- Spiced Cranberry Apricot Almond Chutney – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz 
- Pumpkin Butter – Family Foodie 
Soup and Snacks
- A Soup For You – Momma’s Meals 
- Maple Nut Granola - Girl in the Little Red Kitchen 
- Sweet and Spicy Curried Nuts – Soni’s Food for Thought 
- Roasted Spiced Nuts – Mrs Mama Hen 
- Sweet and Spicy Pecans – Supper For a Steal 
- Maple Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars – Cupcakes and Kale Chips 
- Orange Spiced Chickpeas – Home Cooking Memories 
- Turtle Pretzels – The Messy Baker 
- Rocky Road Candy – Magnolia Days 
- Dairyfree Vegan Caramels – Galactosemia in PDX 
- Peanut Butter Cookies in a Jar – Mama’s Blissful Bites 
- M&M Cookies in a Jar – Damn Delicious 
- Monster Cookie Mix in a Jar – What Smells So Good? 
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Biscotti – Meal Planning Magic 
- Snickerdoodle Snack Mix – Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again 
- Butter and Jam Thumbprint Cookies – Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends 
- Peppermint Stick Cookie Truffles - The Weekend Gourmet 
- Nutella Truffles – Small Wallet Big Appetite 
- Peanut Cajetas (Peanut Fudge) – Basic and Delicious 
- Cookie Cutter Fudge – Chocolate Moosey 
- Pumpkin Roll – Shockingly Delicious 
- Homemade Chocolates – My Trials in the Kitchen 
- Hot Chocolate on a Stick – Juanita’s Cocina 
- Chocolate Toffee “Crack” – Ruffles and Truffles 
- Holiday Tree Cake – Noshing with the Nolands 
- Salted Caramel Cookies – Mama Mommy Mom 
- Fruit and Nut Cookies – In the Kitchen with Audrey 
- Applepie Moonshine - My Catholic Kitchen 
- Holiday Spiced Mocha - Daily Dish Recipes 
- Homemade Peppermint Mocha Mix - In the Kitchen with KP 
- Homemade Kahlua - That Skinny Chick Can Bake 
Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day today (Sun. Nov. 11) during #SundaySupper. We’ll cyber-meet at 4 p.m. PST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat. All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper  hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat .