Recipe: Poor Man’s Burrito or Tailgate Teasers
Summary: A Hatch chile wrapped up with garlicky cream cheese in a flour tortilla becomes a Poor Man’s Burrito. Perfect for tailgating or any party!
- 1 large flour tortilla
- Whipped cream cheese
- Garlic powder
- 1 Hatch chile, roasted, skinned, seeded and cut into strips 
- Lay the tortilla flat. Spread lightly with cream cheese. (An offset spatula is a handy tool with which to do this.) Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder. Lay chile strips on top.
- Roll up tightly. Cut in half and place on plate. Enjoy!
The original verbal recipe called for garlic salt, but I found that too salty (the cream cheese has some salt in it), so garlic powder is my preferred sprinkle.
Variations: Tailgate Teasers
This was a verbal recipe shared by Robert Schueller from Melissa’s Produce , as we were discussing the many charms of Hatch chiles one day. Don’t you think recipes passed “over the back fence” are the best? I’m not sure why it’s called a Poor Man’s Burrito, but it’s a catchy name.
Preparation time: 3 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 1
I’m bringing my Poor Man’s Burrito to the #SundaySupper virtual Tailgate party. The #SundaySupper team has lots of great suggestions for your tailgating munchies, below. Find something you like and bring it to the game!
Pre Game Warm-ups:
- Sausage Balls by My Catholic Kitchen 
- Edamame Hummus by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen 
- Slow Cooker Rueben Dip by The Meltaways 
- Buffalo Wing Hummus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks 
- Smokey Guacamole with Bacon by Family Spice 
- Pepperoni & Mozzarella Pull Apart by In the Kitchen with KP 
- Boneless Honey BBQ Chicken Wings by Juanita’s Cocina 
- Candied Pecans by From Fast Food to Fresh Food 
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends 
- Swabian Mini Meatballs (Schwaebische Mini Fleischkuechle) by Galactosemia in PDX 
- Joe Montana’s Touchdown Guacamole by Noshing with the Nolands 
- Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Bites by Mama.Mommy.Mom. 
- Hot & Spicy Popcorn Chicken by My Trials in the Kitchen 
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites by Family Foodie 
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by girlichef 
- Game Day Loaded Nachos by The Messy Baker 
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Home Cooking Memories 
- Southwestern Spring Rolls by Supper for a Steal 
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs by Comfy Cuisine 
- Roasted Garlic Bacon Dip with Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips by Daily Dish Recipes 
- Beer Battered Spiced Sweet Potato Lentil Fritters by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz 
- Indian Spiced Chicken Meatballs by Soni’s Food for Thought 
On the Sidelines:
- Anne’s Best Potato Salad with Bacon and Peas by Webicurean 
- Simple Roasted Purple Potatoes by Ruffles and Truffles 
- Spicy BBQ Baked Beans by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen 
- Papa’s Potato Salad & Baked Beans by Kwistin’s Favorites 
- Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich by Cooking Underwriter 
- Pollo Adobado con Papas (Adobo Chicken with Potatoes) by La Cocina de Leslie 
- Poor Man’s Burrito by Shockingly Delicious 
- Ham and Mushroom Handpies by Vintage Kitchen Notes 
- Individual Muffuletta Sandwiches by Magnolia Days 
- Far East Steak Salad by Diabetic Foodie 
- Italian Sloppy Joes by The Weekend Gourmet 
- Hot Chicken Chili by Momma’s Meals 
- Louisiana Sloppy Joes by Sustainable Dad 
- Hawaiian Chicken Wraps by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings 
- Grandpa Sal’s Sausage and Peppers by Daddy Knows Less 
- Fancy Filet Chili by I Run for Wine 
- Homemade Italian Sausage by The Little Ferraro Kitchen 
- Jalapeno Crockpot Chili by Mama’s Blissful Bites 
- Flavorful Fall Marinade by Midlife Road Trip 
- Moose Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen 
- Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Cookies by Chocolate Moosey 
- Streusel Topped Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake 
- Zucchini Cupcakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey 
- Oven-Baked Churros by Small Wallet Big Appetite 
- Swirl Nutella Cupcakes by Basic N Delicious 
- Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles by Gotta Get Baked 
From the Cooler:
- Sparkling Tropical Lemonade by Dinners. Dishes, and Desserts 
- Strawberry Horchata by Damn Delicious 
Wine Pairings by Wine Everyday 
Don’t forget to join us on Twitter at 7 p.m. ET to talk all things tailgate. Use tweetchat  to follow along with #SundaySupper.
We’d also love to feature your tailgating recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board  and share your menu with all of our followers!
And if you’d like to see all the recipes I have brought to #SundaySupper outings, here they are !
Melissa’s Produce sent a sample of Hatch chiles for recipe testing.