I’m not much of a football watcher. In fact, while I attended USC, I made a tidy profit selling my season tickets to fans who didn’t have student access to buy them. Oops…was that legal? Never mind.
But even though I don’t watch it much, I don’t mind going to football parties. I’ll just bring the food!
I like a pinwheel sandwich for tailgating or football parties. You can roll it up and eat it as a log, or cut it into pieces for the spiral effect. This one has only four ingredients, and is charmingly named Poor Man’s Burrito.
It takes advantage of green Hatch chiles, whose season is just tapering off. If you bought some while they were in stores the last month, be sure to use them in this! Otherwise use an Anaheim chile or any other fresh green chile you favor.
Recipe: Poor Man’s Burrito or Tailgate Teasers
Summary: A Hatch chile wrapped up with garlicky cream cheese in a flour tortilla becomes a Poor Man’s Burrito. Perfect for tailgating or any party!
- 1 large flour tortilla
- Whipped cream cheese
- Garlic powder
- 1 Hatch chile, roasted, skinned, seeded and cut into strips
- Lay the tortilla flat. Spread lightly with cream cheese. (An offset spatula is a handy tool with which to do this.) Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder. Lay chile strips on top.
- Roll up tightly. Cut in half and place on plate. Enjoy!
The original verbal recipe called for garlic salt, but I found that too salty (the cream cheese has some salt in it), so garlic powder is my preferred sprinkle.
Variations: Tailgate Teasers
This was a verbal recipe shared by Robert Schueller from Melissa’s Produce, as we were discussing the many charms of Hatch chiles one day. Don’t you think recipes passed “over the back fence” are the best? I’m not sure why it’s called a Poor Man’s Burrito, but it’s a catchy name.
Preparation time: 3 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 1
I’m bringing my Poor Man’s Burrito to the #SundaySupper virtual Tailgate party. The #SundaySupper team has lots of great suggestions for your tailgating munchies, below. Find something you like and bring it to the game!
Pre Game Warm-ups:
- Sausage Balls by My Catholic Kitchen
- Edamame Hummus by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Rueben Dip by The Meltaways
- Buffalo Wing Hummus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Smokey Guacamole with Bacon by Family Spice
- Pepperoni & Mozzarella Pull Apart by In the Kitchen with KP
- Boneless Honey BBQ Chicken Wings by Juanita’s Cocina
- Candied Pecans by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Swabian Mini Meatballs (Schwaebische Mini Fleischkuechle) by Galactosemia in PDX
- Joe Montana’s Touchdown Guacamole by Noshing with the Nolands
- Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Bites by Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Hot & Spicy Popcorn Chicken by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites by Family Foodie
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Game Day Loaded Nachos by The Messy Baker
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Home Cooking Memories
- Southwestern Spring Rolls by Supper for a Steal
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs by Comfy Cuisine
- Roasted Garlic Bacon Dip with Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips by Daily Dish Recipes
- Beer Battered Spiced Sweet Potato Lentil Fritters by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Indian Spiced Chicken Meatballs by Soni’s Food for Thought
On the Sidelines:
- Anne’s Best Potato Salad with Bacon and Peas by Webicurean
- Simple Roasted Purple Potatoes by Ruffles and Truffles
- Spicy BBQ Baked Beans by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Papa’s Potato Salad & Baked Beans by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich by Cooking Underwriter
- Pollo Adobado con Papas (Adobo Chicken with Potatoes) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Poor Man’s Burrito by Shockingly Delicious
- Ham and Mushroom Handpies by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Individual Muffuletta Sandwiches by Magnolia Days
- Far East Steak Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Italian Sloppy Joes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hot Chicken Chili by Momma’s Meals
- Louisiana Sloppy Joes by Sustainable Dad
- Hawaiian Chicken Wraps by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grandpa Sal’s Sausage and Peppers by Daddy Knows Less
- Fancy Filet Chili by I Run for Wine
- Homemade Italian Sausage by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Jalapeno Crockpot Chili by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Flavorful Fall Marinade by Midlife Road Trip
- Moose Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Streusel Topped Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Zucchini Cupcakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Oven-Baked Churros by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Swirl Nutella Cupcakes by Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles by Gotta Get Baked
From the Cooler:
Wine Pairings by Wine Everyday
Don’t forget to join us on Twitter at 7 p.m. ET to talk all things tailgate. Use tweetchat to follow along with #SundaySupper.
We’d also love to feature your tailgating recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share your menu with all of our followers!
And if you’d like to see all the recipes I have brought to #SundaySupper outings, here they are!
Melissa’s Produce sent a sample of Hatch chiles for recipe testing.