Recipe: Orzo, Lentil and Fig Salad
Summary: Delicious, healthy flavors of the Mediterranean star in this inventive pasta-lentil salad studded with figs and feta. This recipe is great for picnics, make-ahead meals, or brown bag lunches.
- 8 ounces uncooked Orzo (rice shaped pasta), or the pasta shape of your choice
- 1 cup uncooked lentils, preferably French or small dark green
- 1/2 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried mission figlets, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled, fat-free feta cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted pignoli nuts (pine nuts)
- Additional herbs for garnish (basil)
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cook orzo according to package directions, about 9 minutes.
- Cook lentils in 3 cups water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Make dressing: Place balsamic vinegar in bowl. Add garlic, oregano, basil, a pinch of sea salt, and a few grindings of pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Set aside.
- Mix orzo, lentils, olives, figs, cheese, and nuts together in a large bowl. Add dressing and stir gently to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with fresh herbs before serving.
“The Stress Free Diabetes Kitchen,” by Barbara Seelig-Brown (2012; American Diabetes Association; $18.95). Recipe and photo reprinted with permission.
Exchanges / Choices
1 Lean Meat
Calories from Fat 180
Total Fat 20.0 g
Saturated Fat 2.2 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 435 mg
Potassium 415 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 8 g
Sugars 10 g
Protein 13 g
Phosphorus 250 mg
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
If you, like me, want to include more healthy recipes and meals, you’ve come to the right place. The American Diabetes Association has launched #30DaysofFamilyHealth all this month, and 12 food writers, including me, are participating. Go to Kitchen PLAY  to see all of our healthy and delicious recipes, and you can shop for this and other ADA books here . Discount: Shockingly Delicious readers get a 25% discount off all books in the ADA online store with the code KITCHEN2013, through Oct. 4, 2013.
Giveaway!: In addition, the ADA is hosting a fabulous giveaway on the Kitchen PLAY Facebook page  in conjunction with #30DaysofFamilyHealth. Five winners will receive their choice of three of the five cookbooks involved in the series plus a $50 Visa gift card. (Hint: this is a fun puzzle promo, where both the ADA and KP pages must be “liked” to reveal the prizes.)
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the American Diabetes Association in conjunction with Kitchen PLAY.