Recipe: Lentil Tacos
Summary: The beloved taco gets a modern vegan update with lentils instead of beef, lots of spices, and a garnish of sliced ripe olives, of course. Meatless Monday, here we come!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14-ounce) can lower-salt vegetable broth (or you can use chicken or beef broth)
- 1 cup water
- A couple squirts of Tabasco (optional)
- 1 cup prepared chunky salsa
- 12 hard taco shells, or soft taco-size tortillas
- Garnishes: chopped ripe olives, shredded lettuce, chopped fresh tomato, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped avocado
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet. Sauté onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute to toast spices.
- Add broth, water and Tabasco (if using); bring to a boil. Stir and reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Uncover; cook for another 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened if it is too soupy. Stir in salsa.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of lentil mixture into each taco shell and top with your favorite taco
- fixin’s. Garnish with sliced ripe olives.
- Serves 6.
California Black Ripe Olives
I wrote this post and created this recipe as part of a partnership between Kitchen PLAY  and California Ripe Olives . They have compensated me for my time and cooking expenses. The content of this post is my own.
Preparation time: 7 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian, Vegan
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Mexican