Recipe: Vegan Christmas Kale Chopped Salad
Summary: Supremely colorful and healthy, this chopped Kale salad is perfect for a red-and-green Christmas or anytime! Make it ahead and let the kale soften.
- 1 (8-ounce) container Cut ‘N Clean Greens SuperKALE Rainbow Kale Salad
- 7 Brussels sprouts
- 6 red radishes
- 3 colored carrots (I used 1 red, 1 white and 1 purple)
- 1 blood orange, peeled (optional)
- 2 (3-ounce) bags Melissa’s Sweetened Dried Cranberries (this is about 1 heaping cup)
- 1 (8-ounce) package Melissa’s Ready-to-Eat Baby Beets
- In a large bowl, add kale.
- Trim stems off Brussels sprouts and slice them very thinly (you can do this with a knife or a mandolin). Add to bowl. Trim stem and root off radishes and carrots and cut them into a fine dice; add to bowl. If using blood orange, peel and cut into a fine dice and add to bowl, along with cranberries.
- Using hands or salad tongs, gently combine all salad ingredients until well mixed.
- Make dressing: In a small jar, add oil, lemon juice and Tabasco. Shake well. Pour dressing over salad and toss well to combine and coat everything. Set aside FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR! This will soften the kale.
- Remove beets from package and cut into a fine dice. When ready to serve, add beets to bowl and stir to combine. (This prevents beets from staining the other ingredients if left to sit with them.)
- Serves 12 as a side salad.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Diet type: Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
Disclosure: Cut ‘N Clean Greens supplied the kale salad and Melissa’s Produce supplied the cranberries and beets for recipe development.