Even though school is back in session, summer is still going strong here, and heirloom tomatoes are bursting out everywhere!
A Sunday morning trip to the farmers market or supermarket is not complete until I have a satchel full of heavy tomatoes in every color, gnarled and ridged, striped and flecked with imperfections — a particular brand of unique beauty only heirlooms have.
Heirlooms also have unbeatable flavor, which is why we use them in a classic Caprese Salad.
You know caprese, right? Fresh mozzarella (not the rubbery stuff), a slice of juicy heirloom tomato, a fresh basil leaf, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Hint: The salt I use is my secret ingredient.
That’s really the entire recipe right there. But of course I’ll write it out for you, in case this is your first time making it.
We can make a whole lunch or dinner out of this, with some good French or Italian bread, a glass of wine, and maybe a couple of bites of something else. Salami? A green salad? Dessert? You decide.
Make this, before the heirlooms are gone and Fall descends.
Today our Sunday Supper group offers you food on Tantalizing Trays, hosted by Constance from The Foodie Army Wife . Try my Caprese Salad or something else from the list below that floats your boat!
Now let’s hit the kitchen. Sunday Supper will be here before you know it!
- Antipasto Skewers  by Simply Gourmet
- Bite-Sized Meatballs  by MealDiva
- BLT Bites  by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- BLT Canapes  by Peaceful Cooking
- BLT Crostini with Basil Mayonnaise  by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Blueberry Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini  by Casa de Crews
- Brie and Tomato Bruschetta  by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cajun Deviled Eggs  by Peanut Better and Peppers
- Charcuterie Board  by Family Foodie
- Cheese-Filled Apple Rounds  by eatingininstead
- Coquilles St. Jacques  by Nosh My Way
- Crudite Platter with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip  by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats  by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Cucumber Sandwiches  by Momma’s Meals
- Feta Zucchini Bites  by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Thai Soup Shooters  by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs  by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad  by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeño Mac ‘n Cheese Bites  by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Modern Relish Tray  by An Appealing Plan
- Mostarda di Frutta  by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers  by Magnolia Days
- Ploughman’s Platter for a Party  by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks  by Basic N Delicious
- Rye Party Puffs  by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Southwestern Turkey Sliders  by The Texan New Yorker
- Spinach and Mushroom Pizza Bites  by The Dinner-Mom
- Tomato Basil Soup Shooters  by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini  by Hip Foodie Mom
- Alice in Wonderland Sugar Cookies  by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Baked Lemon Glazed Mini Donuts  by Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Chocolate Oreo Pocky Cupcakes, Cake, and Morello Cherry Buttercream  by NinjaBaking
- French Silk Shooters  by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Chocolate Brownie Bites  by Wallflour Girl
- Mini Banana Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits (#glutenfree option)  by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Fools  by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters  by The Redhead Baker
- Vegan Caramel Truffles  by What Smells So Good?
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Bites  by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Witchy Chocolate Mousse with Culinary Fairy Dust  by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board  for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement .