Recipe: Healthier Santa Fe Frito Pie
Summary: What to do with leftover Fritos? An updated, healthier Frito Pie with ground turkey, beans and vegetables makes delicious work of them.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Don Enrique Mild Hatch Chili Powder 
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomato in juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 (1-ounce) bags Fritos Chili Cheese Corn Chips
- Chopped avocado
- chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped green onion
- shredded spinach or lettuce
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onion until softened and beginning to brown, about 7-8 minutes. Add the ground turkey and sauté until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt, and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes, until spices smell fragrant. (This turkey mixture will be deliberately undersalted because the Fritos are salty, as is the shredded cheese for a garnish.)
- Add tomatoes and their juice and drained beans, stir to combine, and continue to cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, pour 1 bag of chips into each of 4 bowls, and top with the turkey mixture. Allow each person to personalize with their favorite garnishes (suggestions above).
- Serves 4.
Dorothy Reinhold / Shockingly Delicious
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
Throughout the week, you can find the #SundaySupper team sharing #WeekdaySupper meals as well. Getting families back to the dinner table is our mission, and I hope we inspire you to try some of our delicious recipes. You can also find them on our Pinterest Boards  as well. Please join us there and try something!
This week’s easy Weekday Supper recipes are:
Monday – Cravings of a Lunatic - Farmer’s Market Pasta
Tuesday – Basic N Delicious  – Salmon Tacos
Wednesday – Noshing With The Nolands  – Baked Lemon Sole with Parmesan Crust
Thursday – Shockingly Delicious  – Healthier Santa Fe Frito Pie
Friday – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks  – Jalapeno Popper Quiche
Looking for more Weekday Supper inspiration? Check out our delicious Pinterest board . And/or follow the #WeekdaySupper hashtag on twitter for quick and easy recipes we share throughout the week, every week. Share yours too; just remember to tweet them with the hashtag.
Have a delicious day!