Recipe: Hatch Chile Margarita
Summary: Lightly spicy with seasonal Hatch chiles, this classic margarita has a bit of a bite and ends with a smile. Make the Hatch tequila a week ahead.
For Hatch Tequila (Make a Week Ahead)
- 2 Hatch chiles, roasted, skinned, seeded and stemmed 
- ½ cup white tequila
For Hatch Chile Margarita
- 1 ½ ounces white tequila
- 2 teaspoons Hatch tequila (from above recipe)
- 1 ounce Cointreau (or Grand Marnier or Triple Sec)
- 1 ounce Meyer lemon juice (can use regular lemon juice)
- Garnish: a strip of Hatch chile, threaded onto a toothpick
- For Hatch Tequila: Add chiles and tequila to a small jar with a lid. Close tightly and put in a dark pantry for at least 5 days (can be longer). After 5 days, it is ready to use. (You can keep it much longer.) You will note that the chiles have given up some of their color to the tequila. Be sure to label the jar so you know what it is later.
- For Hatch Chile Margarita: Combine tequila, Hatch tequila, Cointreau and lemon juice in a glass. Stir and add crushed ice. Note: Chileheads might like 1 tablespoon Hatch tequila instead of 2 teaspoons. You decide if you are a chilehead or not.
- Garnish with a strip of Hatch chile, threaded onto a toothpick or drink pick, if you like.
- Serves 1.
Lemon juice, not lime juice?
Margarita expert Al Lucero, who owns the renown Maria’s Restaurant in Santa Fe, NM, and has written “The Great Margarita Book,” and “Maria’s Real Margarita Book,” prefers lemon juice in his margaritas. Good enough for me! Also, see my award-winning Basilrita  for another variation on this delicious theme.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Culinary tradition: Mexican
I am bringing this zesty cocktail to our #SundaySupper Mexican Fiesta virtual potluck — a weekly group of foodies who band together to encourage families to eat dinner around the family table each Sunday.
You can see what else I have made during my participation in #SundaySupper right here .
Join us this week as we hope to inspire you with these mouthwatering recipes from our talented contributors. We will be sharing them all day long and invite you to share your favorite Mexican recipes during our #SundaySupper live chat on Twitter at 7 p.m. (EST).
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup  - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup  - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip  - Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup  - Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar  - Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise  - Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips  - The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe  - Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables  - Diabetic Foodie
La Comida (the food)
- Fiesta en tu Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde)  - The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper  - Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa  - Chattering Kitchen
- Carnitas  - My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie  - Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños  - The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa  - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada  - Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle  - Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans)  - La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil  - girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo  - Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce  - Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce  - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas  - Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso  - Momma’s Meals
- Baked Flautas  - Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola  - What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor  - Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos  - Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chile Relleno with Ranchero Sauce  - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas  - Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos  - Tora’s Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas  - Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas  - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos  - Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros  - Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan  - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper  - In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles  - Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies  - Kwistin’s Favorites
- Strawberry Empanadas  - In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters  - From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas  - The Watering Mouth
- Beer Margaritas  - That Skinny Chick can bake
- Hatch Chile Margarita  - Shockingly Delicious
- Skinny & Spicy Watermelon Margaritas  - I Run for Wine
- Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margarita  - Mama Mommy Mom
- Wine Pairings for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper  - ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day today, Sept. 16, during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite recipes for a Mexican Fiesta! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag , or you can follow us through TweetChat.
Melissa’s Produce supplied the Hatch chiles for recipe development.