Recipe: Green Bean Fries
Summary: Crunchy, addictive and good for you, these Green Bean “Fries” are going to be the next kale chip; just you wait and see.
- 2 cups fresh green beans, ends cut off, or 1 pound frozen green beans, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a sheet tray with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl toss beans in the olive oil. Lay out on the sheet tray completely flat (bunched up beans will not get crispy).
- Mix together the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over the beans.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Carefully broil for another 1-2 minutes. Be sure not to broil for longer, or they will burn. Serve.
- Serves 4.
“Vegan Beans from Around the World,” by Kelsey Kinser (2014, Ulysses Press; $15.95). Recipe used by permission; photo by Kelsey Kinser.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Disclosure: The publisher sent a copy of the book for review.