Most of the fun of Halloween after you outgrow the candy-scarfing stage is thinking up scary snacks and treats to gross-out your family and friends.
Like Banana Scream Pie. Or Boo(ger) Burgers or how about Hallow Wienies? Slime on a Slab? Guts on a Stretcher? Bloody Worms, Ogre Butt…or, let’s see…Scabs and Fingertips could be Pico de Gallo and chips. You can practically see the food that goes with each name.
Am I right?
Case in point: Witches’ Digits, the best Halloween cookie EVER!
Second case in point: Deviled Spider Eggs, the best Halloween appetizer EVER!
Those two Halloween Hall of Famers are now joined by Gory Green Monster Eyeball Dip, which from the cook’s point of view is the simplest idea ever, and from the unwitting partygoer’s point of view might be too disgusting to contemplate. Perfect idea for both.
Make a grand entrance, announce the name of this dish, stand back, watch the horrified faces, and smirk. Never, ever admit to what it actually is.
Recipe: Gory Green Monster Eyeball Dip
- A handful of grapes, both green and red, or whatever color grapes you can find
- Guacamole (either chunky homemade or store-bought)
- Mission brand Halloween Tortilla Chips (or any tortilla chip or vegetable dippers)
- Wash, dry and peel the grapes, using your smallest paring knife.
- Fold skinned grapes into prepared guacamole, scoop into serving bowl (make sure eyeballs are showing on top of dip), and surround with chips or vegetable dippers.
- Be sure to label the dip in your spookiest printing.
My favorite new prepared guacamole is Cabo Fresh Guacamole, which is 95% avocado, and the rest seasonings (no preservatives). It’s organic, and delicious! If you want, make your own version from ripe fresh mashed avocados, chopped onion, tomatoes and cilantro, a squirt of lemon or lime juice, a pinch of salt, and maybe some fresh garlic. You can use Elizabeth Rafeedie’s great recipe, or wing it.
I found these Mission brand Halloween Tortilla Chips, in black and bright orange, in Vons. Look for them, or use regular tortilla chips, and/or whatever vegetable dippers you like.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Mexican
The #SundaySupper cooks are conjuring up some magic in our bubbling cauldrons to bring you everything from Ghoulish Gruel to Haunted Snacks to Spooky Sweets, and of course a few Bewitching Brews!
Witches, ghosts, goblins, vampires, zombies, monsters…everyone is invited. You don’t want to miss this hair-raising party.
On the menu for our Trick-or-Treat #SundaySupper Halloween Party:
- Shrunken Heads in Cider - Girlichef
- Candy Corn Martini - The Messy Baker Blog
- Wine Pairings - ENOFYLZ
- Steak Bites with Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce - I Run for Wine
- Eggs in Purgatory - My Catholic Kitchen
- Mini Jack-o’-Lantern Sloppy Joe Pies - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Baked Mummy Cheese Dogs - In the Kitchen with KP
- Meat Head - Ruffles & Truffles
- Goblin Eggs - Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mummy Hot Dogs - Damn Delicious
- Spooky Kid Pizzas - Sustainable Dad
- Pumpkin Chili, Pumpkin Dip, & Wicken Witch’s Brew - Daddy Knows Less
- Monster Mash - Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Sloppy Worm Sandwiches - La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Biscoff Cream - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Spooky Ogre Eye Cookies - The Realistic Nutritionist
- Jack O’ Lantern Cookies - Magnolia Days
- Spooky Good Popcorn Snack Mix - The Weekend Gourment
- White Chocolate & Coconut Dipped Strawberry Ghosts - Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Monster Bites - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Vegan Halloween Sugar Cookies - Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Monster Cookies - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Tunnel of Doom Cake - That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Candy-Stuffed Rice Crispy Treat Pumpkins - Chocolate Moosey
- Crispy Graham Bones - The Meltaways
- Dulce de Leche Bat Cookies - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Witch’s Fingers - Noshing with The Nolands
- Sweet Intestines with Broken Glass - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Graveyard Brownies - The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Boo Candy Corn & Chocolate Chip Cookies - Hip Foodie Mom
- Bleeding Devil Cakes - Momma’s Meals
- Pumpkin Halloween Munch - Big Bear’s Wife
- Halloween Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cake Pops - Juanita’s Cocina
- Jack-O-Lantern Carrot Cake - Galactosemia in PDX
- Ghostly Chocolate Orange Tarts - Happy Baking Days
- The Wicken Bao - The Urban Mrs
- Messy Monster Cookies - MarocMama
- Bewitchingly Delicious Butterscotch Broomstick Cake Pops - Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Halloween Popcorn Cake - Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Witches Morning Gruel - In the Kitchen with Audrey
- White Chocolate & Dulce de Leche Ghosts - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Peanut Butter Candy Bar Cookies - The Cookie A Day Challenge
- Monster Cookie Revel Bars - Baker Street
- Halloween Cereal Bars - Basic N Delicious
- Ossi di Morti (Bones of the Dead Cookies) - Webicurean
- Pumpkin Pie Pinwheels - Midlife Road Trip
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day, today during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting at 4 p.m. (PST) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about all things Halloween. All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat.