Recipe: Flourless Caramel Oat Cookies
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking variety) Be sure to buy certified Gluten-Free oats if it is important to you
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Melt the butter. Place all ingredients in a medium-size bowl and mix gently by hand, or at lowest speed with an electric mixer. Mound into a ball of dough. Chill the dough 25 minutes (this is an important step) or overnight if more convenient.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets by lining with parchment paper. (Parchment paper is a must, or the cookies will fuse onto the baking sheet.)
- Form the chilled dough into 1-inch scoops or balls (a small cookie scoop works well for this), and place on baking sheet. The cookies won’t rise, but will spread out very slightly. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until the edges are browned and the tops of the cookies are medium golden. (Both sheets may be baked at the same time; switch racks and turn sheets back to front at the halfway point.)
- Remove from oven and cool well on the baking sheet (about 10 minutes) before removing using a spatula. The cookies should peel off the parchment easily.
- Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Adapted from a recipe by Marcy Goldman, a professional baker and food writer based in Montreal.
Preparation time: 8 minutes for mixing, 25 minutes for chilling
Cooking time: 14 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 12-15
Culinary tradition: USA (General)