Recipe: Dorothy’s Fresh Cranberry-Ginger Relish
Summary: Dorothy’s Fresh Cranberry-Ginger Relish is a bright, zippy, raw, fresh relish that will add a hot-sweet spark of life to your Thanksgiving or holiday turkey dinner plate.
- Wash cranberries in a colander, remove and discard any bruised or soft berries and pat the berries dry on paper towels.
- Add cranberries, lemon zest, sugar and ground ginger to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the berries are finely chopped (do not allow it to become puree). Pulse in the minced crystallized ginger and spoon mixture into a covered container. Allow to rest in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours so the sugar infuses the berries. (If you serve it right away, the sugar will still be gritty.) You may make it a day or three before, and it will be all the better for it.
- Makes about 3 cups. Serves about 12 (1/4 cup per serving). Oh, who are we kidding? It serves 6, maybe 8 at my house!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low fat, Gluten free, Raw
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
Leftovers?: Eat it with roasted chicken or pork. Slather it on sandwiches (it can really liven up boring lunch meat). Dollop it on a bowl of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. Heck, spoon it over vanilla ice cream!
If you like this recipe and want to save it, pin the image below to your Pinterest board.
What else can you eat Fresh Cranberry-Ginger Relish with?
- Roasted chicken or pork
- Slather it on sandwiches to liven up boring lunch meat
- With Greek yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast
- On vanilla ice cream for dessert!
See anything else on our Thanksgiving table you might like?
Here are the recipes for our whole feast, prepared by some of Los Angeles’ finest food bloggers. All of their recipes and sites are worth a visit. Tell ‘em I said hi!
APPETIZER — Crispy Yukon Gold Latkes with Harvest Fruit Puree — Tori Avey — The Shiksa in the Kitchen (Check me out in the maroon shirt in her photo, waiting my turn to take a photo of the table.)
TURKEY – The Perfect Turkey and Sugared Fruit — Denise Vivaldo – Food Fanatics Unwashed
SALAD – Crab, Avocado, Pomegranate Salad in Crisp Endive Leaves, topped with Creamy Tangy Pomegranate Dressing and Lemon Zest  — Rachael Hutchings – La Fuji Mama
POTATO – Garlic and Herb Potato Gratin  – Dorothy Reinhold – Shockingly Delicious
CRANBERRY – Dorothy’s Fresh Cranberry-Ginger Relish  – Dorothy Reinhold – Shockingly Delicious
SIDE — Caramelized Chestnuts and Brussels Sprouts in a Buttery Cider Vinegar Glaze — Greg Henry – Sippity Sup
SIDE — Spiced Roasted Root Vegetables with Carrots, Yams, Parsnips and Chippollini Onions — Cheryl D Lee – Black Girl Chefs Whites
BREAD – Caramelized Shallot and Herb Focaccia — Louise Mellor – Geez Louise
DESSERT — Kahlúa Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream  — Patti Londre – Worth The Whisk (Check me out in her photo, taking a picture of the table!)
Credit for Thanksgiving table photo on this page: Greg Henry from SippitySup.com
This article was originally published on Shockingly Delicious Nov. 16, 2011 and has been refreshed and republished Nov. 14, 2018.