We’re big dairy eaters and drinkers here, and while we’re lucky not to have allergies that prevent us from consuming dairy, I have often wondered whether our family could think outside the milk carton to make a few choice substitutions with some of the non-dairy drinks out there now.
It turns out we can! I used So Delicious Coconut Milk — a new product to me — as a dairy alternative in our favorite Vanilla Iced Coffee and it turned out just dandy. The coconut milk, which is made from organic coconut milk, is soy- and dairy-free, and is fortified with a balance of calcium, magnesium and Vitamin D for maximum calcium absorption. I discovered that coconut milk, as well as their almond milk and cashew milk, are 100% plant based, soy-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO. I like that.
To encourage you to explore your options and their products, So Delicious has started a 21-Day Dairy-Free Challenge  from Jan. 21-Feb. 10. You’ll go to their Facebook page  to chat with other people taking the challenge, share you experiences, feedback, tips, etc. Of course, there are prizes!
To further encourage you, I’ve joined with a few other food bloggers in a Dairy-Free Recipe Potluck, hosted by Go Dairy Free  (if you eat a dairy-free diet, you’ll want to visit this site often). Take a look at what we have created for you, and try something from this list:
- Creamy Anti-Inflammatory Salad Dressing  on Go Dairy Free.
- Breakfast Papaya Granola Bowl  on BitterSweet.
- Cashew Muesli with Apples and Dried Cranberries  on Ricki Heller
- Coconutty Butternut Squash and Kale Soup  on Run to the Finish
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Breakfast Parfait  on Simply Quinoa
- Pineapple Sherbet with Curry Cashew Crunch  on Spa Bettie
- Vanilla Iced Coffee  on Shockingly Delicious
First, though, let’s make a refreshing Vanilla Iced Coffee. I’ve taken to drinking this with my lunch, as a mid-day treat.
Why might you go dairy-free?
Here’s some additional reading if you are considering going dairy-free.
- Surprising Secrets to Bone Health 
- Top 12 Tips to Going Dairy-Free 
- Potential Benefits from Dairy-Free Living 
- Healthy Dairy-Free / Vegan Snacks