Some things are just better when you make them yourself.
Take chickpeas, for example. There are few things handier than a can o’ cooked chickpeas to throw in a substantial salad, to whirl into homemade hummus or to make a Meatless Monday dinner.
But if you take the time to cook the dried chickpeas yourself, you’ll be awakened to a new level of flavor. They’re just so, so much better than canned.
You can certainly soak them overnight, and then boil them until they are cooked, or you could do them in the slow cooker. I choose the slow cooker because I can walk away for hours while it does the work.
Recipe: Slow Cooker Chickpeas
- 1 pound dried chickpeas
- 6 cups water (or you could use low-salt chicken broth or chicken stock)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Rinse, drain and pick over the chickpeas to remove any bits of dirt and debris. Place chickpeas and water in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours, or until the chickpeas are tender when cut or mashed. Add salt to taste. Drain and use as desired.
- Refrigerate cooked chickpeas if not used right away. You may also freeze them for longer storage.
See this page for all the wonderful #SundaySupper dishes I have made since I joined this group, and links to all the other delicious dishes made by my fellow cooks.
How to deploy cooked chickpeas
–Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing
–Perfect Homemade Hummus
–Hummus with Caramelized Onions and Portobello Mushrooms
–Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna
–Vegetarian Chickpea, Carrot, Cilantro, Curry Patty
–10-Minute Chickpea Salad with Feta and Basil
–Sweet Tomato, Chickpea and Fresh Rosemary Soup
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 6 hours
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is all about slowly bringing in the New Year with slow cooker recipes, hosted by Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings. Check out the variety of things we have cooked up for you! Try these Slow Cooker Chickpeas or find something else from the menu below that rings your chimes:
Whet Your Appetite
Simmering Soups, Stews, and Side Dishes
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Football Sunday Teriyaki Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma’s Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans for Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chinese Chicken from The Ninja Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches from Neighborfood
Join us around the family table for #SundaySupper
- Twitter how-to: Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day on Twitter to see our recipes. To join the conversation anytime, simply use the #SundaySupper hashtag to share your favorite tips and recipes.
- Pinterest: Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more recipes and photos.
- Join: To join the Sunday Supper Movement, sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.