Recipe: Perfect Brown Rice in the Oven
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups long grain brown rice (I used Trader Joe’s Brown Jasmine Rice)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven on the stove, heat water, oil and salt until boiling. Stir in rice, remove from stove, put lid on pot and place covered pot in hot oven.
- Bake undisturbed for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, remove lid and fluff the rice with a fork, and serve.
- Makes 9 cups cooked rice.
This is deliberately under seasoned so it can be used in a variety of dishes. Season to taste when you use it.
Since this makes so much, you can put half of it in a container in the refrigerator, for use within a day or three. The other half you can cool to room temperature, put into a zipper-top freezer bag, label and freeze for a night when you need rice but don’t have time to cook it.
Source and sub for a Dutch oven:
Alton Brown gives directions for baking the rice in a baking dish . Note that his recipe is half of this one, so if you use my proportions, you will likely need a 13- by 9-inch baking dish. I saw a version of this dish on Karen’s blog  at In the Kitchen with KP, and she got it from Alton.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Diet type: Vegetarian, Vegan
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 12 (makes 9 cups)
Culinary tradition: USA (General)