Fall is a natural time for comfort, both in the foods we eat and in our thoughts. As Thanksgiving approaches, we muse about our own lives, are grateful for all that we have, and wonder what we can do to help others.
Because of my work in the world of food, I have two natural charities that I gravitate to – the L.A. Food Bank , with a vision that no one goes hungry in L.A. County, and Meals on Wheels , which brings healthy fresh meals to homebound people. What is your favorite food-related charity?
When it comes to comfort food, some people default to the carbs. Thick slabs of home-baked bread slathered in butter, plates of creamy polenta, mashed spuds, plates heaped high with pasta…mmm…bring them on when nippy weather arrives!
Call me crazy, though, but nothing makes me happier than a big bowl of roasted or sautéed vegetables. If no one is looking, I hold it up to my face and shovel it in like I am slurping a bowl of Asian noodles. That’s the definition of true comfort food to this girl.
My latest comforting vegetable obsession is Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates — Brussels sprouts cut into thin slices, sautéed with bacon, showered with salty Parmesan and sweetened with date chunks. It’s a full-on taste sensation!
This will do you right all throughout the coming holiday season, can be served at room temperature (the better to withstand a buffet table), and pairs well with lots of different main dishes, whether poultry, salmon, beef or ham (or by itself).
To fully enjoy, I’ll offer a Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio to pair with it, which will also do well with roast turkey. Sound familiar as an entree for the fourth Thursday in November?
Today’s Sunday Supper recipes
This week our #SundaySupper blogger crew is celebrating Giving Comfort, sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards . They’d love it if you connected with them on Facebook  | Twitter  | Instagram  | YouTube . I enjoy chatting with them on their social media about wine pairings with my recipes.
Meanwhile, check out our collection of 20 recipes we have lined up for you today from the Sunday Supper cooks, and our wine suggestions for each of them. I recommend you try my delicious Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates with some Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio , a bright, crisp, refreshing dry white wine with the flavors of green apple, peach and citrus. If you’re more a classic red person, you might like Gallo’s Cabernet Sauvignon , a full-bodied dry red that tastes of blackberry and black currant with a hint of spice to contrast the earthy vegetable dish. You can find them in your grocery store (or use their store locator here ).
If you don’t want Brussels sprouts, choose something else from the menu below that gives you comfort, and share it with your family.
Comforting Appetizers and Beverages:
- Acorn Squash Cheese Spread with Spinach and Artichokes  by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pomegranate Mulled Wine  by The Messy Baker
Comforting Entrees, Soups, and Stews:
- Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie  by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beef Goulash  by Magnolia Days
- Beef Stew with Puff Pastry  by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cheesy French Onion Soup  by Life Tastes Good
- Chicken and Corn Chowder  by The Girl In the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Panini  by Casa de Crews
- Classic Swiss Fondue  by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf  by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Johnny Marzetti  by NeighborFood
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread  by Family Foodie
- White Wine Cream Sauce Poached Shrimp  by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
Comforting Side Dishes:
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates  by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Acorn Squash  by Jelly Toast
Comforting Brunch, Desserts, and Sweets:
- Baked Pumpkin French Toast  by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesecake Bites with Red Wine Chocolate Sauce  by Momma’s Meals
- Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce  by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gooey Autumn Spice Brownie Cups  by Desserts Required
- Pear Streusel Coffee Cake  by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
This post was originally published Nov. 9, 2014, and has been republished.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed here are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.