- Shockingly Delicious - http://www.shockinglydelicious.com -
A Few of my Favorite Things — January 2012 Light and Lemony Edition!
Posted By Dorothy Reinhold On January 31, 2012 @ 6:06 pm In Favorite Things | 8 Comments
1. Seedless lemons: I do love my citrus, and these beauties are so useful for any number of reasons. Let’s list a few, so you get inspired:
They’re sold by the fine folks at Frieda’s, The Specialty Produce Company , and you can find them exclusively at Ralphs markets.
3. Cocobon wine: This is everyday elixir! Chef Chris Bocchino of Cal-Fresco at The Godmother  introduced me to this one night at dinner, and it complemented every dish our party of 4 adults ate, from a bacony mac `n cheese to a Jidori chicken, quinoa salad with roasted winter veggies, a pan-sauteed fish and short rib tacos. When I Googled Cocobon  at home, I found it has a cult following, and is one of those Trader Joe’s finds (akin to 2-buck-Chuck), for about $7-ish a bottle. You won’t go wrong with this very drinkable, brilliant garnet blend that hints of cherries, raspberry, cocoa and a whiff of smoke.
This is real wine, for real people, who really pay for it themselves. Amen.
4. Funny, funny people: The comments AFTER Paul Deen’s recipe for English Peas,  AFTER Rachael Ray’s Late Night Bacon , and of course, the original 2001 post on Salted Water for Boiling  at Epicurious. Read deeply into the comments and prepare to snort with laughter.
5. Bacon paintings: People are wild and wonderful, aren’t they? To wit, the creator of this, a replica of van Gogh’s iconic painting Starry Night made from bacon. Astonishing! If you would like to attempt it, there are even instructions .
6. Meyer Lemon Chess Pie: Reader Susan S. in Newbury Park, CA called the Meyer Lemon Chess Pie  ”mind-bendingly delicious.” Then she called me a “Beautiful Pie Fairy,” which, frankly, I kinda like! You must make the pie.
7. This Breakfast Flow Chart: Andrew Wilder over at the blog Eating Rules is a whiz at condensing useful info into engaging flow charts. This Breakfast Flow Chart  is not only hilarious, but HELPFUL! H&H…my new mantra!
8. Nutella Dessert Pizza: January should not be ALL about denial and deprivation. When you need a simple dessert idea for a new year, try Nutella Dessert Pizza at Rosti Tuscan Kitchen !
9. Local news: I’m grateful for the local sources of news that cover my little burg — the Malibu Patch  (a hyper-local electronic newspaper for which I write a food column ), ThisWeekinMalibu  (a community website full of local events), and our two newspapers, The Malibu Times  and Malibu Surfside News . It is a pleasure to live in a town covered by so many newsy publications.
10. Again with the lemon: This recipe for The Best Damn Meyer Lemon Cake . Yeah, I said damn on the blog; deal with it. Meyer lemons are on trees, in the stores, at the farmers markets, and now is the time! If you read the comments on this recipe, ignore the one that says you need to buy a special pan. Just use whatever metal or glass loaf pan you have, and it will be fine. Trust me.
Disclosure: Frieda’s Specialty Produce provided samples of the seedless lemons mentioned in this article. There was no expectation or requirement of endorsement. My opinions, as always, are my own.
Article printed from Shockingly Delicious: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com
URL to article: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/a-few-of-my-favorite-things-january-2012-light-and-lemony-edition/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_2554-1.jpg
 Frieda’s, The Specialty Produce Company: http://www.friedas.com
 Image: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_2552-1.jpg
 Image: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/cocobon-wine.jpg
 Cal-Fresco at The Godmother: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003037272297
 Googled Cocobon: http://tjswinenotes.com/2011/12/15/2010-cocobon-california-red-wine/
 Paul Deen’s recipe for English Peas, : http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/english-peas-recipe/index.html
 Rachael Ray’s Late Night Bacon: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/late-night-bacon-recipe/index.html
 Salted Water for Boiling: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Salted-Water-for-Boiling-105591
 Image: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Bacon-Starry-Night.jpg
 instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Van-Gogh-for-Breakfast/
 Image: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_2505-11.jpg
 Meyer Lemon Chess Pie: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/meyer-lemon-chess-pie-and-my-first-crop/
 Breakfast Flow Chart: http://www.eatingrules.com/2011/07/healthy-breakfast-ideas/
 Image: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_2501.jpg
 Rosti Tuscan Kitchen: http://www.rostituscankitchen.com/index.html
 Malibu Patch: http://malibu.patch.com/
 food column: http://malibu.patch.com/columns/malibu-taste
 ThisWeekinMalibu: http://thisweekinmalibu.com/
 The Malibu Times: http://malibutimes.com/
 Malibu Surfside News: http://malibusurfsidenews.com/
 The Best Damn Meyer Lemon Cake: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/The-Best-Damn-Meyer-Lemon-Cake
 Image: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_1740.jpg
Copyright © 2010 Shockinglydelicious. All rights reserved.