Any day with pie is a good day.
Saturday was a beautiful day in the sun, eating pie, appreciating pie and honoring pie! Yes, the 2011 Malibu Pie Festival was a day to remember. I won my personal best — 5 ribbons! That brings my total to 22 ribbons since I began entering this contest in 2003.
Way back then, I entered it on a whim…I saw an announcement for it, and thought, “Hey, I have a good pie recipe! I could do that.” I won a ribbon that first year, for what I called the World’s Best Caramel Pecan Pie, and I was hooked!
Even if you don’t win a ribbon, though, your pie goes to a good cause at the festival. Slices are sold and the money goes to fund the good work done in the community by the Malibu United Methodist Church. It isn’t my church, but I’m an enthusiastic resident of this town, and I enjoy doing my part to support groups doing good deeds.
If baking is involved, even better! Mark your calendar for next year, because I want YOU to enter. Some 80-90 pies were entered this year, and next year yours can be one of them. You can do it!
Two of my pies are already on ShockinglyDelicious (click the links above), and either would be fabulous for a Thanksgiving, Christmas or other upcoming holiday dessert. Your guests will be very happy!
Stay tuned for additional winning recipes! (Now, if you want to see the shambles my kitchen was in while I baked these pies, go here.)
List of winners, by category
1. Laurie Principe: Apple Cranberry Pie
2. (tie) Dorothy Reinhold: Apple-Pecan Pie
2. (tie) Laurie Principe: Rustic Organic Apple Pie
1. Lynda Pingatore: Great Cherry Pie
2. Laura Hicks
3. Alexandra Durazzano: Italian Double Crust Peach Pie
1. Diane Jenson
3. Dorothy Reinhold: Bob Andy Pie
1. Christina Hoag
1. (tie) Dorothy Reinhold: Old Fashioned Fudge Pie
1. (tie) Alexandra Durazzano: Chocolate Chocolate Tart
2. Dorothy Reinhold: Mocha Pecan Fudge Pie
1. Alexandra Durazzano: Berries of My Garden Tart
2. Lynda Pingatore
3. Dorothy Reinhold: Coffee-Toffee Pecan Pie
1. (tie) Savory: Caramel Apple Cheesecake
1. (tie) Kristine Bocchino/Cal Fresco at the Godmother: Organic Nut & Date Tart
1. (tie) Savory: Country Apple
CHILDREN 6 & Under
1. Joshua and Lucas Doyle
2. Noah Fox and Zoe Doyle
3. Nursery School Science Room of Malibu United Methodist Church
1. Rachel DeAngele’s Room
2. Taffany Zavola
3. Tripp Principe
1. Tiffany Martin
2. Christina Leonardo and Abby Blackwood
3. Sabrina Carey
Congratulations to ALL the winners! You are all fabulous cooks, and I am so glad to see the young, enthusiastic bakers on the list. I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with next year!